Editor’s note: This guide was published in April 2020 but we have updated it for 2021 with new articles, links, and resources.
Hi Temper Community,
First, I’d like to introduce myself. I’m Nicole Slaughter Graham, The Temper’s interim editor. I’ll be covering for Irina while she’s out on maternity leave. I am thrilled to be editing the stories that you’ll read here over the next few months.
I started this new position on March 23, right in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, when schools started to close, businesses shuttered, and many of us were mandated to stay in our homes. I’m sure many of you can relate to the struggle of working from home, homeschooling, and trying to keep a couple of kids entertained. It’s been a wild ride, and like so many of you, I’m feeling the waves of emotion that come from such an experience. As a sober woman, I’m doing my best to adjust to the changes and maintain an equilibrium, just like all of you.
At The Temper, we recognize that the need for community and hope is so important as sober and sober-curious people, but it’s especially important at this moment. We need each other.
That’s why we’ve put together this resource guide. We have published and will continue to publish stories to help you navigate this unprecedented time, and we want you to have access to them all in one place.
Keep checking back. We’ll be regularly updating this post to include more personal stories, articles, and resources.
I hope you and yours are healthy, safe, and relatively sane. Know that you’re not alone. We at The Temper and Tempest are here for you, doing what we can to hold space and provide some support.
Thinking of you all,
How to Find Support
- We’re Stronger Than We Realize and We *CAN* Get Through This
- 15 Online Recovery Meetings & Groups You’ll Want to Check Out
- Why Now is Actually the Best Time to Quit Drinking
- 5 Books to Read During Uncertain Times
- 21 Women-Led Recovery Podcasts to Listen to When You Need Hope
- The Perfect Movie and TV Must-Watch List for When You’re Stuck at Home
- New Podcasts to Listen to in Quarantine
- How to Support Friends Facing Racism During COVID-19
- The Dangerous Rise of Drinking Culture in Quarantine
Mental Health Help
- How to Manage Your Mental Health During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- How You Can Stay Sane, Sober, and Be of Service Without Meetings
- Mental Health: How and Where to Find Affordable Resources
- 5 Active Ways to Reduce Stress During Stress Awareness Month (and COVID-19)
- How to Support Expecting Parents & Their Mental Health
Tips & Advice
- 3 Lessons from Early Recovery that Apply to the COVID-19 Crisis
- 7 Tips to Handle COVID-19 Anxiety Without Using
- 10 Tips to Preserve Your Recovery When Working from Home
- How People in Recovery are Managing Their Finances During COVID-19
- 17 Ways to Stay Sober When You’re Stuck at Home
- Hang Onto Your Eating Disorder Recovery Through the Triggers of COVID-19
- 10 Tips for Navigating Relationships During Quarantine
- It’s Time To Stop Touting Productivity During the Pandemic
Social Distanced Fun
- 25 Things to Do While Social Distancing
- 5 Ways to Stay Sober While Social Distancing
- How to Celebrate PRIDE Without Alcohol (During and After the Pandemic)
- Fun, Unique, Sober Ways to Socialize During Quarantine
- 15 Alcohol-Free Friend Dates for a Fall of Social Distancing
- How to Prepare for a Sober Winter in Quarantine
- 15 Sober Staycation Ideas for 2020 and Beyond
You’re Not Alone
- I’m Celebrating 7 Years of Sobriety (In Quarantine)
- OCD Did Not Prepare Me for COVID-19
- It’s Not My First Quarantine — But This Time I’m Sober
- How Isolation During the Pandemic Forced Me to Look Inward
- I Broke Up With My Quarantine Boyfriend and Didn’t Have a Drink
- I Went to Rehab During the Covid-19 Pandemic
- My Drinking Became Problematic During the Pandemic; Here’s How I Stopped
- 3 Ways Recovery Prepared Me for Having a Baby in a Pandemic