It’s difficult to talk about our issues with eating, particularly during a time of year when everything we see seems to scream that we should be dieting and controlling our calorie intake after what was likely a period of indulgence during the holidays. But when you’re in recovery from an eating disorder, things can be even more stressful this time of year— which is why we at The Temper are devoting the first two weeks in January to talking about this difficult subject.
From past stories on why the “lose weight” New Year’s Resolution doesn’t work to the link between food and morality to how recovering from an eating disorder helped one writer come out as non-binary. We’ve also got stories on recovering from extreme diets, weight loss drugs, and what it’s like to parent a picky eater when you are in eating disorder recovery. Plus, more on healing body image through sobriety, how to combat fatphobia, and what it’s like to face diet culture when you’re in recovery from substance use disorder.
Coming up, we have stories on how to maintain recovery when your friends and family are still deep into diet culture, the connection between eating disorders and substance abuse, and how one writer’s bisexuality affected her eating disorder. We know this time of year isn’t easy but we’re hoping that, with these stories, you can find the help and support you need.
If you need extra help, please don’t hesitate to reach out to a supportive family member or friend, or call the National Eating Disorder Association helpline at 1-800-931-2237 from 9 am to 9 pm on Monday through Thursday and 9 am to 5 pm on Fridays.
P.S. And to make things a *little* easier, you can also save this URL and come back here all month long for a full list of our eating disorder recovery series, below.
- Why You Should Consider Banning “Body Talk” at the Table This Holiday Season
- Remember: Your Waistline Is the Least Interesting Thing About You
- All The Ways I Tried to Make Myself Small
- What Happened When My New Year’s Resolution Stopped Being “Lose Weight”
- The Link Between Food and Morality Was a Huge Part of My Eating Disorder
- ‘Shrill’ Review: Annie Finds Her Confidence By Using Her Voice in Season 1
- Recovering From My Eating Disorder Helped Me Come Out as Non-Binary
- How I Recovered From Extreme Diets and Addiction
- A Weight Loss Drug Made Me Question if I’m Addicted to Food
- What Parenting a Picky Eater Taught Me About Eating Disorder Recovery
- How I Healed My Body Image Through Sobriety
- Holidays are Difficult For Those with Eating Disorders
- 10 Ways We Can Resolve to Combat Fatphobia in the New Year & Beyond
- 3 Women in Recovery Explain How Diet Culture Impacts Their Lives
- 10 Tips to Keep You Safe, Sane, & Sober Through All the Diet Messaging This Month
- How Alcohol Helped Me Cope with My Eating Disorder — Until It Didn’t
- We Need to Stop Using Moral Language About Food in Front of Our Kids
- How Bisexuality Can Make Eating Disorder Recovery Problematic
- All of the Eating Disorder Recovery Tips You Need to Know
- 19 Women in Recovery on How They Healed From an Eating Disorder