Mental health is a very difficult thing for most of us to talk about. In fact, some of us don’t even know that we have a mental health issue until we come face-to-face with a substance use disorder (SUD) or alcohol use disorder (AUD). At least, that was the case for me — and I know the case of many others I met I rehab who also had a co-occurring disorder. For me, that was AUD and a generalized anxiety disorder. I spent most of my time in rehab for alcohol use disorder, sure, but I was also figuring out how to handle my new anxiety diagnosis.
And it turns out, I am not alone. Co-occurring disorders, also known as comorbidities, impact 7.7 million adults, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. In fact, they also report that 37.9% of those with a SUD also have a mental illness and 18.2% of those with a mental illness also have SUD. Thankfully, you can get help. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, “these illnesses are common, recurrent, and often serious, but they are treatable and many people do recover.”
That is why we are creating this guide to mental health in recovery. This month, we are featuring stories about mental illness and recovery. There are stories about agoraphobia, skin picking disorder, and so much more. We know that you might feel alone as you venture down the long road of recovery from substance or alcohol use disorder and mental illness, but we’re here to show you that you’re not alone. And yes, many people do recover.
P.S. And to make things a *little* easier, you can also save this article and come back here all month long for a full list of our mental health series, below.
- How One Native Woman is Recovering From Substance Use Disorder and Trauma Through Yoga
- Asian American Mental Health Advocates Changing the Narrative on Mental Illness
- The Challenges (and Freedom) of Getting a Mental Illness Diagnosis in Recovery
- Drinking Was the Perfect Remedy for My Anxiety — Until It Wasn’t
- These Powerful Women of Color are Destigmatizing Mental Illness
- Being Latinx, Non-Binary, and Queer in an Alabama Rehab
- How Crushing Mental Load Drives Women to Drink
- Trapped In A Box: Drug Use Rid Me Of Agoraphobia
- Yoga was the Cure I Craved for my Anxiety. Until it Wasn’t.
- Why It’s Difficult to Talk About Recovery As a Latina
- How AA Helped Me Recover From a Mental Breakdown — Even Though I’m Not an Alcoholic
- How to Manage Your Mental Health During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- The Ultimate Guide for Women of Color Seeking Therapy
- How Do I Find a Therapist Who Specializes in Addiction?
- Mental Health: How and Where to Find Affordable Resources
- 7 Tips to Handle COVID-19 Anxiety Without Using
- 5 Essential Oils To Soothe Evening Stress and Anxiety
- How to Support Expecting Parents & Their Mental Health
- Why It’s Difficult to Take Mental Health Medication As Someone In Recovery
- What You Need to Know About Recognizing and Healing Childhood Trauma
- Friends with Secrets: Bringing Humanity into Text Therapy
- 12 Sober Women Of Color You Should Be Following on Instagram