One of the topics that we get the most questions about at The Temper is parenting while sober. Many of our readers (and writers!) are newly sober and managing how to be a first-time sober parent. Some are doing it after years of buying into “parenting with a buzz”; some are navigating parenting and sobriety for the first time and at the same time. Some are still trying to wrap their minds around quitting drinking in the first place.
For me, even after four years in recovery, “mommy wine culture” terrifies me — a fact that has become even more clear now that I’m a new parent. But when I came on as Managing Editor, I committed to bringing you the conversations that you want to hear. We’ve tackled BIG topics like dating in sobriety, LGBTQIA+ stories for Pride, minority mental health, and CBD/cannabis and legalization, dealing with finances in sobriety, and . And now, we’re thrilled to bring you our ultimate guide to sober parenting.
In the list below, we’re going to be featuring interesting and intriguing conversations from real-life sober parents or parents who want to quit drinking. Whether it’s talking about the difficulties of parenting, mom’s quiet suffering, or how to deal with wine culture as a sober parent, make sure you come back every week for more stories that are anti-mommy juice and anti-rosé all day.
Avoiding ‘Mommy Wine’ Culture
- Will Mommy Drinking Culture Put My Sobriety at Risk?
- Please Don’t Give the Gift of ‘Mommy Juice’ This Mother’s Day
- Wine Mom Culture is Terrible But Moms’ Quiet Suffering Is Worse
- 3 Ways to Navigate Wine Mom Culture as a Sober Parent
- How Crushing Mental Load Drives Women to Drink
Getting Sober While Parenting
- My Kids Will Never Know a Mom Who Drinks
- Sobriety Forced Me to Own My Non-Binary Identity — Especially to My Kids
- I Quit Drinking for My Kids, but I Stay Sober for Me
- Sobriety Brought Me to Meditation; And to Motherhood
- I’ve Just Had My Third Kid But I’m a First-Time Sober Mom
- I Finally Got Sober — But Parenting is Still Hard
- Intentional Parenting and the Path to Sobriety
- 3 Ways Recovery Prepared Me for Having a Baby in a Pandemic
Healing Yourself & Your Kids
- Healing From a Childhood Spent With a Parent Who Was Addicted to Alcohol
- The Complicated Relationship Between a Daughter and a Father with Substance Use Disorder
- How to Talk to Kids About Your Experience with Addiction
- What Parenting a Picky Eater Taught Me About Eating Disorder Recovery
- How Can I Help My Child with Substance Use Disorder?
- How My Sobriety Helped Me Embrace My Childlike Spirit
- We Need to Stop Using Moral Language About Food in Front of Our Kids
- How to Support Expecting Parents & Their Mental Health