Maybe you woke up on New Year’s Day with a hangover and decided that enough was enough. Maybe you’re seeing tons of Dry January posts from your friends and wondering if you should try it, too. Or maybe you’re just thinking, for the first or second or 25th time in your life, whether your relationship with alcohol is something you want to continue.
You’re ready to quit alcohol — maybe for today, maybe for tomorrow, maybe forever. You don’t have to decide that right now but you do need to know the first steps to take. You might be ready to put down the booze, at least for a time, so… Now what?
We at The Temper are here to support you in your journey to recovery, whatever that looks like. We know it’s not easy but we also know that you don’t have to do it all alone. That’s where this list comes in. Below are some of our top articles that are perfect for those new to sobriety and those who are still just exploring. So, wherever you’re at right at this moment, know that this is the place to start. This is the first step you can take into a brand new world. And we’re welcoming you with open arms.
Am I Ready to Get Sober?
- Everything You Need to Know About the Harms of Alcohol
- 5 Signs You Might Be a Gray Area Drinker—And What To Do About It
- 7 Signs I Knew My Drinking Was Becoming a Problem
- The Top 10 Health Risks of Alcohol for Women, According to an MD
- The Biggest Misconceptions About Recovery
- The Difference Between Going Dry and Being In Recovery
- You Don’t Have to Hit Rock Bottom to Quit Drinking
- 100+ Tips for Someone Who Wants to Quit Drinking But is Too Afraid to Try
How to Rock Early Sobriety
- What to Tell People When They Ask Why You Don’t Drink
- The Science Behind Alcohol Cravings
- Is It Okay to Replace Alcohol with Sugar in Sobriety?
- 20 Tools to Help You Through Your Recovery Journey
- 5 Tips to Do Sober Business Trips Successfully
- How I Knew When it Was the Right Time to Go Public with My Sobriety
- 3 Mindfulness Visualizations to Help You Through Early Sobriety
- How I Embraced the ‘Pink Cloud’ of Early Sobriety
- 8 Tips to Beat the Sunday Scaries in Sobriety
- 30 Powerful Women’s Recovery Memoirs to Inspire Your Own Journey
- 12 Women-Led Recovery Podcasts to Listen to on Your Commute
Finding Support Online and Off
- The Top 24 Sober Communities Beyond Traditional AA
- The 4 Kinds of Friends You Need in Recovery
- How to Be a Sober Atheist
- 5 Ways To Be of Service Outside of a Traditional Recovery Program
- 3 Ways to Support a Friend After They Told You They’ve Decided to Quit Alcohol
- Finding Your People When You’re Queer and Newly Sober (or Sober Curious)
- Why It’s Difficult to Talk About Recovery As a Latina
- How Being Black Can Shape Your Recovery Experience
- Coming Out as Sober Online: Help Yourself, Help the World
- How to Successfully Leave 12-Step Meetings
- 10 Ways to Be the Best Ally to Someone Who’s Struggling With Addiction
Loving (and Living) Your New Life
- Is It Time to Ditch the Label “Alcoholic”?
- 15 Self-Care Ideas for Those in Recovery
- 6 Natural & Safe Sleep Aids If You’re Sober
- 4 Reasons Being Sober is a LOT More Fun
- 3 Ways to Create a ‘Happy Hour’ That Will Leave You Truly Happy
- 40 Meaningful Lessons We Learned in Recovery
- What is a Recovery Coach? A Certified Coach Explains
- Don’t Be Afraid of Exploring a New Sexual Identity In Sobriety
- 4 Tools to Help You Deal When Life Gets Hard in Sobriety
- 5 Habits to Help You Curb Those Nightcap Cravings
- Finding Joy in Sobriety Through Knitting
- Vaping: Safe for Sober Folks? Safe for Anybody?
- What is Ginger Beer, Anyway?
- Is Kombucha Safe for Sober Folks?
- 5 Ways Decluttering Has Positively Impacted My Recovery
Your Mental Health and Mindfulness
- How Do I Find a Therapist Who Specializes in Addiction?
- The Ultimate Guide for Women of Color Seeking Therapy
- 7 Meditation Tips for People Who Can’t Sit Still
- Why It’s Difficult to Take Mental Health Medication As Someone In Recovery
- How Recovering From Alcohol Use Disorder Helped Me Recognize My Workaholism
- 5 Ways Mindfulness Can Support Your Emotional Sobriety
- 5 Relaxation Exercises to Calm Wrecked Nerves
- 5 Essential Oils To Soothe Evening Stress and Anxiety
- What You Need to Know About Alcohol-Free Herbalism
- The Cliché Magic of Practicing Gratitude
Keeping and Forming Relationships
- Where to Meet Friends When You’re Sober
- 5 Ways to Deal with Being the Only Sober Person in the Room
- Travel for Work? 5 Tips to Do Sober Business Trips Successfully
- Yes, You *Can* Network Without Booze
- 5 Tips to Survive an Alcohol-Fueled Work Event
- 5 Tips to Keep Your Relationship Together While Getting Sober
- 5 Ways to Deal When Your Partner Still Drinks
- I Quit Drinking to Support My Partner— Here’s How That Works
- 8 Ways to Find a Date When You’re Sober
- 8 Ideas for Dates That Don’t Involve Any Alcohol
- How I Navigated Dating After Coming Out As Sober — And Queer
- 3 Ways I Learned to Have Great Sober Sex Without Intercourse
Staying Sober Through the Holidays
- How to Manage Your First Halloween Sober
- How to Have a Wild, Sober Halloween (Yes, Really)
- How To Stay Safe and Sober on “Blackout Wednesday”
- 17 Tips for a Sober Thanksgiving
- 7 Tips to Survive the Holidays (*Sober)
- 9 Strategies for Surviving Family During the Holidays
- Tips & Ideas to Make New Sober Holiday Memories and Traditions
- How to Manage Holiday Work Parties While Sober
- Managing Holiday Parties as a Sober Introvert
- 4 Ways to Avoid Spending New Year’s Eve in a Blackout
Making the decision to get sober is never easy. Even harder is figuring out early sobriety, making friends, getting through the holidays, and everything in between. Make sure to bookmark this page for all of your sobriety needs, though, and come back again no matter what age or stage of recovery you’re in. Most of all, though, remember that you’re not alone. Once you stop drinking, a whole new world opens up to you. Trust us.
We welcome you to follow us on Instagram to see more.